About Me

My photo
About me. . . I am a California native with strong European background and upbringing. I am a Christian who believes in being active in my faith. I have been involved with missions since 2003 and hope do continue doing this for the rest of my life. If you're reading this blog hopefully you know me or know of me and have taken an interest in following me and the work of God throughout Europe. Keep reading and checking in for updates! If you would like to receive my newsletter personally please email me! aansofie.guzik@gmail.com

Friday, April 2, 2010

What 80s Music Taught Me

The Bangles! Who wouldn't want to hang out with them!

Depending on when you met me you may or may not know of my obsession with 80s music. I used to wear it on my sleeve. And my legs, and my feet and my ears and especially in my hair! I dressed 80s as much as my confidence would allow. Now I don't dress like that so much. But if an 80s themed costume party suddenly broke out, let's just say I'd be well prepared and Wang Chunging in 5 min! (plus and extra 5 to tease out my hair!)

That guy right in the center, yeah, that was my hair!

Though I don't look the part anymore I do still listen to the music that started it all. I can't remember exactly why I got so into 80s. I think discovering John Hughes in High School played a bit part. (If you haven't seen Ferris Beuller's, Breakfast Club or Pretty in Pink shame on you!) But being the typical teen not wanting to conform to anything, I realized that many of the decades were over saturated in followers; the swing kids, the 50s, and the hippies. So I claimed what I did not see anyone else doing. Now in my older and wiser years I realize that I am not purely defined by how I dress or what I like and I am free to appreciate what I truly find my self drawn to. (Freedom!)

Read what you like! And dress and listen and do! Forget the status quo!

And the Cure! How can one band make some of the happiest and loved filled songs and some of the most depressing and introspective! And look like that!

Rabbit trails, aside I love 80s music. When you step back from the big hair, confusing clothing choices and technicolor make up there is something of quality there. Maybe not of the most refined and perfected but that is my point. They tried things. The use of electronics, like the holy Casio, was being push to the technological limits of the day. Hair and fashion was at the same time antiquated and futuristic. Lines and geometric shapes were everywhere. Seemingly pushing the limits of art and fashion. A lot of it is cheesy, a lot of it is painfully repetive. You can see how after 10+ years of it Grunge whould make it's way on to the scene. Nothing should last forever.

Duran Duran! Awesome for a time but you can't be Hungry Like the Wolf forever!

I am alway surprised when someone says they don't like 80s music. I don't think they have really listened to it. Michael Jackason and Madonna aside, there is much to be enjoyed. A few from the vault: Soft Cell, Camouflage, Huey Lewis, Kim Wilde, Loverboy, Nik Kershaw, The Power Station, Spandau Ballet, and Ultravox!, to name a few. They have one or two big hits that you would most likely hear on 80s night in you local club. But their sound and lyrics are grabbing.

Soft Cell. One of the weirdest yet good looking guys ever!

Now what did this all teach me?, as my title prompted. When I look back at myself at that time when I was obsessed with 80s music it is like nature making a change. I was busting out of a cocoon. I was not painfully shy but shy all the same. I was so worried about how I looked to people but desired to be unique. Not wanting to stand out in a crowd or be the first one to sing along but dying to inside! The unabashed ridiculousness of the music I loved helped me embrace the goof inside myself! I could be that outgoing person so long as I had my music. Now I have weaned myself off my little crutch and can still be a silly and fun. The spirit of no shame in their music and looks taught me to be myself! Even if that self is a little ridiculous! I now reign it in to make myself presentable to society. And I have other likes and obsessions now that play in to what I wear and listen to. But if you really want to see the 80s freak in me, just play Love is a Battlefield or the Safety Dance.

Also! In the 80s it seemed like it didn't matter how you looked! They "ugliest" people made some of my favorite music! How different to today when people run to plastic surgery to try and obtain perfection, rather than practicing their art!

1 comment:

  1. i love this, aan-sofie! individuality is priceless.
    ..but i could still go for a holy casio keytar!

    ReplyDelete