About Me

My photo
About me. . . I am a California native with strong European background and upbringing. I am a Christian who believes in being active in my faith. I have been involved with missions since 2003 and hope do continue doing this for the rest of my life. If you're reading this blog hopefully you know me or know of me and have taken an interest in following me and the work of God throughout Europe. Keep reading and checking in for updates! If you would like to receive my newsletter personally please email me! aansofie.guzik@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BFF


As I am typing this I have just put Eoin to bed (for the third time!). He has got to be the cutes little boy I know! Eoin is the son of Mike and Rachel Neglia and he was just diagnosed autistic this past summer. If you know anything about Autism you know that there are very many types and was it manifests in every child affected. Its very rare to find two kids exactly alike. There are generally though which give us insight into helping them navigate this world in their own way. Eoin is what you might call a high functioning autistic child. And there are many things I praise God for in him. I know that they are huge blessing to Mike and Rachel as well. I just wanted list the many things that we all love about Eoin.

  • He loves to cuddle! - many autistic children dislike very much to be touched, Eoin craves it!
  • He loves story time - I have babysitted many children in my life and no one has ever loves reading or being read to like Eoin! You could read him 20 books and he'd still ask for more!
  • He has a very active imagination - This is truly a blessing, many autistic children have a hard time with imaginary play but Eoin will make up stories, songs, names, games, participate in play acting! This will help him greatly as he makes friends as he will be able to play!
  • He is honest - It could be just his age or the need for reality but I can't say that I have ever caught him in a lie. If you ask him "Did you break the toy?" He'll say yes! Wether he is remorseful or not is another story but knowing you can ask an get an answer is awesome!
  • He loves to eat - This is actually a blessing and a curse as he will eat and eat till he gets sick but many kids his age, autistic or not, have made major food preference decisions which are often void of anything good. Eoin doesn't like vegetables so much, but loves fruit. I knew a kid who for years eat mostly candy, pasta with ketchup and chicken nuggets. Eoin is a great eater!
  • He loves me! - One of my main prayers in coming to Ireland was that Eoin would be comfortable with me. That he would trust me and be ok with me. God has answered that prayer ten times over! He like me a lot! He loves to play and cuddle with me and tells me my teeth are beautiful! I can put him to be with out him freaking out and can spend the day watching him without a meltdown (him or me!). I know this is a blessing to Mike and Rachel (they said so in their last newsletter!) but it is a blessing to me as well for it is an answered prayer. And who doesn't love the affection of a child!

So those are just a few of the amazing things about Eoin. As he grows, I know God will us him for His kingdom. I can't wait to see it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment