About Me

My photo
About me. . . I am a California native with strong European background and upbringing. I am a Christian who believes in being active in my faith. I have been involved with missions since 2003 and hope do continue doing this for the rest of my life. If you're reading this blog hopefully you know me or know of me and have taken an interest in following me and the work of God throughout Europe. Keep reading and checking in for updates! If you would like to receive my newsletter personally please email me! aansofie.guzik@gmail.com

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dear Ol' Dad

My Dad has his own blog, which you can read at http://davidguzik.wordpress.com. He updates more than I do, but I had mine first, so there!
In his blog he has been introducing the internet to his three children, myself included. I have to say there are few things better in your young adult life than the praise of your parents. I'm sure they have a great sense of pride and accomplishment being the teachers, care givers, counselors, disciplinarians, and benefactors of our lives. But as the child, you feel that in their praise you have returned good on their investment. I hate to make this sound so business like, but it's true! When I read what my Dad wrote about me, I had an overwhelming sense of "I'm so happy I have become even one measure worthy of the the love and time he put into my life."
This is so true in our relationship with God as well. There is no way we can ever say we gave God a good return on His investment in us. But when He does lift us up and tell us how proud of us He is, it is an amazing feeling. That our lives at this point have become a giant "Thank You" to our Heavenly Father. I definitely feel that way with my earthly father and heavenly Father. Anything amazing in my character and life is a direct result of the time and love they put into my growth.
So this is me blogging about my dad!

David Guzik

I love my dad. He is the best man I know. Even without being my father, I think he is one of the greatest men on this earth. I've just got to know him better being his daughter! I hardly know where to being in describing David Guzik. I suppose a good place to start is when I was a child. My father gave lots of hugs. I only realize now in my adulthood how precious and important a father love can be for a girl. I was truly blessed with a father who not only loved me but showed it. One of his games was the Teddy Bear Game. Dad would be home, maybe after work or on the weekend and would be napping on the couch. One of us kids would walk past him and he would grab us and cuddle us, all the time pretending that he was still asleep and we were his teddy bear. We would of course, protest and try to "wake" him up and say "I'm not your teddy bear!". He would only hold us tighter! Eventually we would break free, laugh and run away. And I'm sure it may have seemed at the time that it wasn't our favorite; but when I look back at my childhood, that is one of my favorite memories.

Breakfast in Bed! A Guzik birthday tradition!
Who doesn't love getting woken up by people singing and shoving food into your face!

In ministry there are alway people to visit, to counsel, projects to work on and have meetings for, missions trips, conferences and if you teach, studying can take up a lot of time. Your time gets eaten up very quickly. I knew my father's work was very important and I understood why. But I am so thankful for the times when he was able to bring work home. Many times he would be studying on the dining room table while we kids ran back and forth. I'm sure it couldn't have been easy to concentrate but I am so glad he made the effort. I remember distinctly on day, in between running from the kitchen to the front yard, pause and seeing my dad sit and study. I didn't need him at the moment, and probably wouldn't the whole afternoon, but he was there if I wanted him. He wasn't at the church office or visiting someone. He was there for us in the house if we needed him. Or if we wanted to show him what we found in the hills behind the house, or the book I just finished reading, or the joke Nathan just said.
He was present. He made time. He valued family. And I may not have fully appreciated then but I certainly do now.

In Paul's Prision in Rome! Look at the suffering on that face!

We'll keeping going or this post is going to be way too long! (Not that I could ever say enough about my dad!) In those wonderful teenage years I definitely gave my parents a run for their money. In all my troubles I knew that my dad loved me. He had spent my childhood establishing my respect and love for him, that when he need to discipline me I knew where it was coming from. He raised us to know right and wrong, to know what the consequences of wrong choices and following through in the discipline for those choices. True there were times when I was defiant; but I was allowed to express myself and I knew the repercussions of my words. My dad is fair. This, I know, was invaluable in his job at the Bible College.

My Daddy and Me!

My Dad is also fun! He is actually a huge goof! His cool and collected persona from the pulpit doesn't do justice to the nerdy man in him! Growing up one of his favorite jokes would go as follows:

Dad - "Guess what?"
Me - "What?"
Dad - "THAT'S WHAT!"
Me - *rolls eyes*
Dad - "Ha ha ha! Got you!" *little dance*
Me - *walking away* ;-)

I mean really! Come on! But that is the goofy sort of guy he is. He likes to watch TV with us kids, make jokes, does funny white guy dances, and grins like a little 5 year old. We all love to laugh! And getting my dad to really chuckle is great fun! He loves great movies and music. He is responsible for my musical foundation in such greats as Bruce Springsteen, U2, Talking Heads, R.E.M., Bob Dylan, The Clash and Tom Petty.

My favorite times with my dad are now in the car. We listen to our favorite music, I show him what is new on the indie scene and we play both our 25 most played songs. We'll talk about anything from theology to history to politics to life. And sometimes we don't talk at all, just sitting in each others silence. I think that is when I feel the most safe and secure. Riding in the the car with my dad. I know my worth, I am respected, I am protected and I am loved.

Dad in Holland in the early 80s. I love this picture! It just oozes cool!

He is also an excellent baker, can fix cars, is a published author, computer whiz, ran the LA marathon, and is a tireless worker for the Kingdom of God.
So that is my dad! I could go on and on because I love my dad so much! I get to know other women my age and learn that my father was truly one of a kind and good man. I hope I can continue to make him proud!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your father. I see him in a new light. But I am not surprised, as I could tell how much he loves you and your brothers. He lives transparently, as we all should, and he is an example to us all. Such a Godly man who has raised a wonderful Godly daughter, with the help of your mom of course. She is also an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete